Thursday, November 27, 2008

Depeche Mode: The Singles 81>85


I saw Depeche Mode on the 86>98 tour, despite the fact that I'd never been a fan of the band. But my friend Mitch was going, and my friend Zanna was going, and they were bouncing off the walls at the prospect, so I invented some enthusiasm and went along. (As a side note, I bought my tickets the same day that I went to attend an Asian music festival in Hermann Park, which is why I ended up walking all the way back home from there to the University of Houston dorms.)

Much later, Zanna and Mitch got engaged, but broke it off before the wedding. Maybe that's what happens when you go to see Depeche Mode, as opposed to, say, The Captain & Tennille.

The show ended up being the beginning of a very real interest in the group, one that continues more than a decade later. And 81>85 is one I've come back to often. As a synth player, I love the squiggly keyboards of "Dreaming of Me" and the Some Bizarre version of "Photographic." "Somebody," on the other hand, brings back the memories of discussing with my friend πρ whether or not the final line, "in a case like this, I'll get away with it," meant that the whole song was in fact an expression of a deep and bitter sarcasm, which would make the fact that many girls we knew thought it was the BEST. LOVE SONG. EVER. pleasurably ironic.

Release year: 1998
Acquired in: 1999?
Favorite tracks: Dreaming of Me, Photographic [Some Bizarre Version], Just Can't Get Enough.

No comments: